Urology procedures, like any other medical procedure, require dedicated urology instruments. Earlier urology surgeries involved full abdominal incisions that took a long time to heal. The recovery period was long and stressful for the patient. With the advancement in medical science and the latest tools and equipment, doctors perform non-invasive surgery whenever possible. The advanced urology devices have made the surgery less traumatic and the patient recovers quickly.
The internal organs that are treated under urology are kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra, adrenal glands, testes, epididymis, seminal vesicles, prostate, vas deferens, and penis. Since the urinary tract and the reproductive system are interrelated, problems in one directly affect the other. Many new medical treatments and procedures have been developed to diagnose and treat various urological diseases. Some of the common urological procedures are:
- Prostate surgery
- Testicular surgery
- Urethra surgery
- Bladder surgery
- Cystolithotomy surgery
- Nephrectomy surgery
- Renal surgery, etc.
Besides the above problems urology also involves treatment of male infertility or impotence, renal transplantation, Neurourology, pediatric urology, etc. Urology can be subdivided into many subdisciplines such as
- Neurourology– This involves nervous system control of the genitourinary system and treatment of abnormal urination. Neurological diseases sometimes have an impact on the lower urinary tract and other urological disorders.
- Endourology – It deals with the closed manipulation of the urinary tract. It is performed using small cameras and other urological devices inserted in the urinary tract.
- Pediatric urology – Children also suffer from urological disorders such as cryptorchidism, congenital diseases of the genitourinary tract, etc. which are treated under pediatric urology.
- Laparoscopy – This technique is fast replacing invasive surgeries as the patient recovers quickly.
- Reconstructive urology – It is a specialized field of male urology and is used to restore the functioning of the genitourinary tract.
- Andrology – It deals with problems related to the male reproductive system and other urological problems in men.
Urology devices play an important role in all these surgeries as precise and good quality instruments minimize inflammation, obstruction, etc. The male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive system are treated under urology.
A urologist undergoes extensive training in diseases of the male reproductive system as well as the urinary system. As many other systems are related to the urinary system, a urologist is expected to know about internal medicine, pediatrics, gynecology among others. They often have to perform surgical procedures and are trained surgeons as well. While they often collaborate with other specialists, they know to provide the best treatment to their patients.
Do Urologists and Nephrologists perform the same procedures?
People often confuse urologists and nephrologists with each other, but they specialize in different fields. Nephrology is a completely separate field of medicine that deals with diseases related to kidneys and their functioning. A urologist treats patients for kidney cancer or kidney stones while patients who suffer from diabetes are treated by a nephrologist. While urologists may perform surgical procedures, a nephrologist does not perform surgeries.
There are many urology medical devices suppliers who provide good quality devices that help perform surgeries with precision.